St. Andrews family escapes fast-moving house fire
Firefighters are crediting a St. Andrew woman's quick action with getting her family to safety as fire broke out in her home around 8:30 a.m. Saturday.
A fire official told CBC the woman was in the garage when she noticed heavy smoke coming from the chimney.
He said she woke up her husband and children, and they gathered their pets and everyone got out safely.
She then called 911.
St. Andrews fire officials said the fire had spread all the way to the attic and smoke and flames were shooting through roof by the time crews arrived.
Crews from three communities, St. Andrews, West St Paul and Selkirk all responded.
But they said it was hard work fighting the fire in the bitter cold.
There were no injuries. The cause of the fire is not yet know, and there is no estimate yet of damages.