3 children escape smoky house, 2 adults sent to hospital in Winnipeg

Three children escaped a smoke-filled house Tuesday morning in Winnipeg, while two adults were unconscious and treated for smoke inhalation.

Heavy smoke caused by pot of food that overheated on stove in 2nd-floor kitchen

Firefighters were called to a home in Winnipeg's Centennial area on Tuesday morning after an overheated pot of food caused the house to fill with smoke, leaving two adults unconscious. (CBC file photo)

Three children escaped a smoke-filled house Tuesday morning in Winnipeg, while two adults were unconscious and treated for smoke inhalation.

It happened just before 4 a.m. in the 600 block of Ross Avenue, in the city's Centennial neighbourhood.

The children were on the main floor and the adults — who are now in hospital in stable condition — were on the second floor, fire officials said.

A pot of food overheated on a stove in the second-floor kitchen, causing heavy smoke, officials said. There was no fire, they said.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.