Seniors' home evacuated due to fire
A fire forced the evacuation of a senior citizen's home in north Winnipeg on Tuesday.
Emergency crews were called to St. Joseph's Residence, a 100-bed long-term care facility on Leila Avenue, just after 11 a.m. when smoke was seen in a lower level.
A small fire was detected and extinguished quickly and residents were allowed back into the building by noon.
One person was treated for minor smoke inhalation but there were no other injuries, police said.
Leila Avenue remained closed to traffic in both directions, between Watson Street and Pipeline Road, as of 12:30 p.m.