Current MLA: Erna Braun, NDP
Riding profile: Located in the northeast of Winnipeg, Rossmere is bordered on the east by Radisson, to the south by Elmwood and Concordia, to the north by River East, and to the west by Kildonan.
The Red River forms its western boundary. As a result of the 2008 boundaries revision, the riding has expanded toward the City Limits (Gunn Road and Plessis Road).
- 2007: 61.70 per cent
- 2003: 58.22 per cent
Erna Braun, NDP
- Elected 2007.
- Was a teacher for 34 years.
Average family income: $81,379
Unemployment: 5.3 per cent
- Bachelor of home economics and a bachelor of education (University of Manitoba).
- Member of the Legislative Assembly Management Commission and the Public Accounts Committee.
- Chaired the Legislative Assembly of Manitoba special committee on senate reform.
- Served on the executives of the Manitoba Home Economics Teachers’Association, the Winnipeg Teachers’Association and the Manitoba Teachers’ Society.
- President of the Winnipeg Teachers’ Association from 1989-90 and 2005-2007.
Kaur Sidhu, PC Party
- Pharmacist in charge, River East Pharmacy.
- Lived in Winnipeg since 1989.
- Immigrated from India.
- Attained two degrees in Canada: Bachelor of science (chemistry) from the University of Winnipeg and bachelor of science (pharmacy) from the University of Manitoba.
- Also obtained two degrees in India: Bachelor of arts and master of arts (history) at the Punjabi University of Patiala.
- Married to wife, Gurjeet, with three children.
- Has two children from a previous marriage.
Rene Belliveau, Liberal
- Lives in Winnipeg with his wife and their children.
- Worked for Winnipeg Sandbag Crew 2011 (in approx four months, the crew made more than one million sandbags for the city and province to help with the flood fight.)
- Avid fan of the wildlife, hunting and conservation, and the outdoors.
- Volunteer activities include supporting the St. Boniface Wildlife Association to promote, enhance and educate the public in conservation, safety and sportsmanship, and to foster awareness and appreciation of wildlife and habitat.
Evan Maydaniuk, Green Party
- Full time student at l’Université de St.-Boniface, majoring in political science and history.
- Head of the largest school of Scottish music in the province.
- Volunteered with the Green Party of Canada since age 14.
- Attended the "Parlement Jeunesse Franco-Manitobain" Manitoban French Youth Legislature.
- Studied Canadian politics in Ottawa and represented Canada at the United Nations Global Youth Conference on Human Rights at the General Assembly in New York.
Results from 2007 provincial election
Percentage of votes cast
- 2003: Harry Schellenberg (NDP) defeated PC Virginia Larrson by 2,761 votes.
- 1999: Harry Schellenberg (NDP) defeated PC Vic Toews by 294 votes.
- 1995: Vic Toews (PC) defeated NDP Harry Schellenberg by 117 votes.
- 1993:In byelection, Harry Schellenberg (NDP) defeated PC Ed Martens by 831 votes.
- 1990:Harold Neufeld (PC) defeated NDP Maxine Hamilton by 1,168 votes. Neufeld resigned in 1993.
- 1988: Harold Neufeld (PC) defeated NDP Vic Schroeder by 526 votes.
- 1986: Vic Schroeder (NDP) defeated PC Harold Neufeld by 527 votes.
- 1981: Vic Schroeder (NDP) defeated PC Ian Sutherland by 1,483 votes.
- 1979: In byelection, Vic Schroeder (NDP) defeated PC Harold Piercy by 230 votes.
- 1977: Premier Ed Schreyer (NDP) re-elected. He resigned in 1979.
- 1973: Premier Ed Schreyer (NDP) re-elected.
- 1969: Ed Schreyer (NDP) defeated PC David Pekary by 2,343 votes. Schreyer had been elected Manitoba NDP leader in 1969 and was sworn in as Premier.