River Heights housing development's first lots go on sale

A proposed housing development in Winnipeg's River Heights area is one step closer to becoming reality, as the first set of lots went on sale Tuesday.

Lots at 386 Beaverbrook development start at $180K

Lots in 386 Beaverbrook, a proposed residential development in Winnipeg's River Heights area, range in price between $180,000 and $270,000. (386beaverbrook.com)

A proposed housing development in Winnipeg's River Heights area is one step closer to becoming reality, as the first set of lots went on sale Tuesday.

The lots in the development, called 386 Beaverbrook, range in price between $180,000 and $270,000. The prices do not include the costs of building homes on those lots.

Developer Ryan Skrabyk told CBC News he's accepting offers over the next few days.

"We're looking for individuals who want to build a home; we're not looking for investors," he said.

"So our primary concern is that those who are interested and have made offers are looking to build a home in a timely manner."

Skrabyk said the area is being serviced now, so successful buyers can start building on Sept. 1.

386 Beaverbrook sits on a parcel of vacant land — a former school yard — on Grosvenor Avenue between Beaverbrook and Lanark streets.

The land had been a green space and unofficial dog park for neighbourhood residents for two decades.

Mixed reviews from residents

People living in the area started raising concerns after the Winnipeg School Division put the property up for sale.

The developers of 386 Beaverbrook bought it for $2.7 million and divided the land into a total of 30 lots.

On Tuesday evening, residents gave mixed reviews of the development so far.

"Developments are always good; they increase densification for the interior of Winnipeg, which is a good thing," said Lorne Roder.

"The only difficulty, I would say, is that dog walkers lost their dog walking park and … I worry about the infrastructure, the sewer, the water lines, the power that are going to eventually service this space."

Another resident, Bruce Mahaffy, said he plans to move.

"I don't want to be subjected to another two to three years worth of construction, bottom line," he said, adding that no one has offered any kind of assistance or compensation to affected residents.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.