A 44-year-old man from Regina has been charged in connection to a double homicide in Winnipeg's Wolseley area.

Unice and Trevor

The bodies as Unice Ophelia Crow, 19, and Trevor James Sinclair, 31, were found inside a Wolseley rooming house in September. (CBC)

Jeffrey James Kionke was arrested Feb. 5 in Regina and transported back to Winnipeg, where he was charged with two counts of second-degree murder.

The bodies of Unice Ophelia Crow, 19, and her common-law husband Trevor James Sinclair, 31, ​were found inside a Winnipeg rooming house in the 200 block of Chestnut Street on Sept. 4, 2013.

According to police at the time, the bodies may have been in the home for awhile before they were discovered.

Body removed from scene

One of the bodies is removed from the Chestnut Street rooming house in September 2013. (CBC)

The pair had last had contact with family members on Aug. 29.

The cause of death for both has been determined to be multiple stab wounds to the upper body, police said.

Crow was from Hnausa, Man., a small town about 120 kilometres north of Winnipeg. In August, she had completed a First Nations Youth Leadership Conference from the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs.

The day she completed the course she posted a photo of herself holding the certificate.

Her father, Casey James Owen, who lives in Pauingassi with Crow's mother, said the young woman was set to return to high school soon to finish her schooling. She was to start her classes the week she was found dead.

Crow's mother, Doris, told CBC News in September that her daughter moved into the Chestnut Street house three months before the homicide.

Sinclair’s brother, Blackwolf Bellecourt, visited the spot where his brother was killed for the first time on Monday.

“This is my first time being here. I knew I would come here,” he said. “I don’t think we’ll ever heal. We’ll always miss Trevor.”

Unice Ophelia Crow

Unice Ophelia Crow recieves a certificate for completing a leadership course. She posted this photo to her Instagram account. (Instagram)

Bellecourt said his brother was a spiritual man who was devoted to his girlfriend and proud of his aboriginal roots and life as a sundancer.

“He was a good,” said Bellecourt. “My little brother – he worked hard. He was one of the hardest workers I know.”

Police don’t know why Sinclair was killed, but officers did say Kionke was a former tenant in the rooming house, and he knew both Sinclair and Crow.

Michael Kalmakoff, who still lives in the building where the couple were killed, discovered the bodies of Sinclair and Crow. He said he is still in therapy to deal with the trauma.

“They were more like our kids. They helped us with everything,” he said.

Kalmakoff also knew Kionke and said he wasn’t well liked in the building.

“[He was] very short tempered. He was at odds with both Trevor and Unice and us.”

Family and friends of the couple are planning a vigil to honour them on Tuesday night in front of the rooming house.