A 26-year-old man is charged with second-degree murder in connection with Winnipeg's latest homicide.

Mowlid Korane Mohamed was arrested Sunday. He has also been charged with attempted murder, assault and uttering threats.

Police say Mohamed attacked Joshua Bentley, 18, and another man on the Osborne Street bridge at about 11:30 p.m. Friday.

Both were rushed to the hospital in critical condition. Bentley died while the other man was upgraded to stable condition and later released, police said.

According to police, Mohamed and the two victims had been at a party in an apartment building in the area. Mohamed left but waited in his vehicle outside the apartment block when Bentley and the other man came out.

"They were in the parking lot in a vehicle when our victims left the apartment block," said Const. Jason Michalyshen. "That is when our accused confronted and attacked our two victims. Serious injuries were sustained."​

Bentley had extensive trauma to the upper body after the attack, police said.

The 20-year-old man also suffered an upper body injury.

He and Bentley fled but didn't make it across the bridge before collapsing. Emergency crews found them there.

"Why were these two specifically targeted and certainly attacked in the vicious manner that they were?" asked Michalyshen. "That is a big component of our investigation and that is something we don't have an absolute answer for at this time​."

'Far too young to die'

Bentley's death is the city's second homicide of the year.

Friends tell CBC News that he was the lead singer for Empty Hands, a local hardcore band.

Bandmate Jesse Weimer said he had concerns that Bentley was hanging out with the wrong crowd in recent months.

"The last few months [he] and the band haven't been on greatest terms, and he did get more involved with the other crowd," Weimer said.

"He was just a crazy, fun guy that played music and loved to just, like, hang out with friends."

Another friend and musician, DJ Cline, described Bentley as "a good kid" who was "far too young to die."

"He was crazy, he was always that guy that would show up, and he'd always be the guy that can put a smile on our face, make dumb jokes," he said.

Cline said the arrest will not bring his friend back, but it's a start.

"Whoever did this to him was already let out once on bail, so I hope they don't do that again. But at least an arrest was made — that's something," he said.

Bentley's friends are planning a memorial concert for Feb. 7 at The Grave, an all-ages venue in downtown Winnipeg, to raise money for funeral costs.