Police arrest man after Kenaston robbery, shooting and erratic chase

One man is in custody following a robbery, early-morning car chase and shooting in Winnipeg.

Eastbound Regent closed between Starlight and Owen, Plessis and Moroz

Police closed eastbound Regent between Starlight Drive and Owen Street, as well as another section between Plessis Road and Moroz Street, Saturday morning. (Justin Fraser/CBC)

Winnipeg police say gunfire was exchanged during a high-speed chase following a robbery early this morning.

It started when police were called to a gas station in the 1700 block of Kenaston Boulevard at about 3:40 a.m. Saturday after reports of a robbery.

On Saturday morning, police were called to Petro-Canada, located in the 1700 block of Winnipeg's Kenaston Boulevard. (CBC)

Police said a man who was concealing his identity walked into the gas station with a gun and confronted a female employee. He allegedly fired the gun before leaving the scene in a vehicle, police added.

About 40 minutes later, police found the suspect's vehicle on Regent Avenue West and Stapon Road. He sped away erratically, which set off a high-speed police chase. He allegedly fired at officers, who then fired back.
Eastbound Regent Avenue was closed on Plessis Road Saturday morning. (Justin Fraser/CBC)

Const. Jason Michalyshen said the culprit put a number of people at risk, including officers who responded to the scene.

"Putting our members at high risk to make split second decisions," he said.

"We rely on our training, we rely on the equipment that's provided to us to ensure we can bring these types of high-volatile situations to a quick, safe close."

The suspect's vehicle eventually reached a dead end near Springfield Road west of Lagimodiere Boulevard and came to a stop. Police arrested a 51-year-old man with the help of the canine unit, and he remains in custody.

The Homicide and Major Crimes units are now conducting an investigation. Because officers fired their guns, the Independent Investigation Unit of Manitoba has also been notified and brought into the investigation.

Police closed eastbound Regent between Starlight Drive and Owen Street, as well as another section between Plessis Road and Moroz Street, while investigators remained on the scene.

No one was seriously injured, police said.


To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.