The parents of a boy who suffered brain damage during an air ambulance transfer in Manitoba are suing the company.

Blair Campbell and Emily Moar want to know how it could happen that their two-year-old son, Morgan Moar Campbell, was deprived of oxygen for some 30 minutes without anyone noticing.

"We're just going through a lawsuit and stuff and really, it's not about the money, it's just that we want answers and we want to know what went wrong in that ambulance that caused my son to be in this state.

"Nothing could make it better — money can't, but something has to be done. [They] can't get away with it."

The incident happened May 2, when a STARS (Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society) crew picked up Morgan in Brandon for a transfer to Winnipeg's Children's Hospital.

He was sedated and had a breathing tube inserted in his throat, but the tube somehow came out while he was being moved from the helicopter to an ambulance in Winnipeg, according to members of his family.

The STARS incident is under review by Manitoba Health.

Morgan's family is planning a fundraiser in September to pay for a procedure in a B.C. private clinic. A trust fund has also been set up at Scotia Bank.

The STARS incident is under review by Manitoba Health.