No one hurt after school bus, car collide in Winnipeg

No one was seriously hurt after a school bus carrying Grade 5 students was involved in a collision with a car in Winnipeg's Transcona area.
There was some damage visible on side of the school bus but no reports of any significant injuries. In fact, kids could be heard singing inside the bus. (Katie Nicholson/CBC)

No one was seriously hurt after a school bus carrying Grade 5 students was involved in a collision with a car in Winnipeg's Transcona area.

About 40 students from Harold Hatcher School were aboard the bus when the crash happened at about 11:40 a.m. Thursday near Plessis Road and Pandora Avenue.

The MIRV, a converted transit bus used for emergencies involving large numbers of people, was brought in so the kids could be looked over for injuries. (Katie Nicholson/CBC)
The MIRV (major incident response vehicle), used for emergencies involving large numbers of people, was brought to the collision scene and kids were checked over for injuries.

Shortly after the accident, River East Transcona School Division superintendent Kelly Barkman said he had unconfirmed reports that one or two students were taken to hospital for further examination.

"There are a few kids apparently that … are being checked out, and so one or two were taken to the hospital just for precautionary purposes, I am told," Barkman said.

However, the River East Transcona School Division announced later Thursday afternoon that no one was transported to hospital following the crash.

Principal Tom Code from Harold Hatcher School said most of the students were unscathed and a few had minor injuries.

The students were heading back to the school after a handball tournament.

The students went back to the school that afternoon and their parents were contacted, according to the school division, which added that a letter with further details will be sent home with the students.

"I'm always concerned about everybody's safety, just like you would be," Barkman said.

"There are bumps and scrapes, you know, all through the year, especially in the winter. In my recollection, we haven't had one where we've had to have the medical people come in a while."