A massive blaze broke out at the Canad Inns Stadium Tuesday night, forcing police to close a portion of Empress Street.

Winnipeg police and fire crews were on scene to battle the inferno that sent large plumes of black smoke into the sky around 8 p.m.

The fire was burning in the southeast corner of the stadium just inside the outer fence.

Officers had to close a portion of Empress Street around 8:30 p.m. over concerns the fire could spread to nearby gas and propane tanks.

Police believe the blaze broke out in garbage bins in the corner and soon spread to a nearby shed. Police said artificial turf was stored inside.

Crews were able to get the blaze under control shortly after 9 p.m. but the shed was destroyed.

Fire in Red Lobster

Another fire, about the same time, is also under investigation and forced the evacuation of the Red Lobster restaurant just a few blocks from the stadium.

Someone set the fire inside a garbage can in the men's washroom at the restaurant at 1540 Portage Avenue, officials said.

No one was hurt.