A Manitoba family that escaped a house is overwhelmed by the generosity of Manitobans.
Paul Nault, his pregnant wife Michelle Abdilla, and their 18-month-old daughter Arianna were able to get out of their St. Georges house when it went up in flames at the end of March.
- Dad recounts fire that put baby girl, pregnant mom in ICU
- 2 adults, 1 child escape fire in St. Georges
The family was renting the house and had no insurance.
But Nault, 21, says donations to help the family rebuild their life have been pouring in from across the province, to the tune of some $30,000 worth of cash, furniture, and clothing.
“The entire [St. Georges] community, and even people from outside the community — people from Winnipeg and Steinbach — came together and the donations have been absolutely overwhelming,” he said.
“To have even complete strangers who've never even met us donating and everything, it's like I honestly don’t know what I did in my lifetime to deserve it but certainly, more than grateful."
Nault, Michelle and Arianna all suffered injuries, including burns and smoke inhalation, but are now recovering.