Manitoba is to be the first province in Canada to make carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in all homes, starting next April.
A Manitoba government spokesperson confirmed Friday that the provincial building standards board approved an amendment to the building code in November.
News of the proposed new regulation comes after a family of six was treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Winnipeg earlier this week. Gas had leaked into the home from a faulty furnace.
The proposed new building code would require homeowners to retrofit carbon monoxide detectors in all homes, including rental properties. Currently, detectors are only required in newly-built homes.