Video

Manitoba schools gear up for new class size limits

Elementary schools in Manitoba have five years, starting this fall, to limit their class sizes to 20 students, the CBC's Antonnette Smith reports.
Manitoba schools have five years, starting this fall, to limit their class sizes to 20 students. So how are the schools preparing? 2:00

Elementary schools in Manitoba have five years, starting this fall, to limit their class sizes to 20 students.

The provincial government is phasing in class size caps for kindergarten to Grade 3 classrooms.

Officials hope 90 per cent of K-3 classes should have no more than 20 students by 2017, with the remaining 10 per cent of classrooms limited to 23 students.

As the CBC's Antonnette Smith found out, some schools are preparing for the new caps as a new academic year is set to begin.

Click on the video player above to watch Smith's report.