About 12,000 people are coming down from their runner's high after the Manitoba Marathon, but only one could come in first.
The winner of this year's race is Teresa Fekensa, who moved to Canada from Ethiopia and lives in Toronto.
This was his first time competing in Winnipeg, but he said, through a translator, that it won't be his last for the country.
"My goal is to run for Canada and win for Canada," he said. "I'm very happy I won in Manitoba for the first time and I'll come many more times to win."
Fekensa is planning on an athletic career, representing his new home country.
His time in today's marathon was 2:38, but he promised to get even faster next time.
- 80-year-old lacing up for Manitoba Marathon says heart attack changed his life
- Manitoba Marathon, Jazz Festival force road closures around Winnipeg
George Steciuk, 80, was in high sprits after completing his fifth half-marathon.
He's glad he fulfilled his commitment to 80 donors who donated to a charity of their choice.
"I did my part! So that's great," he said.
Every year he tells his wife it's going to be his last race. But, pointing to his bib No. 8442, he said it might be a sign that when he turns 84 he should do the full 42-kilometre marathon.
"But don't tell my wife!"
Théo Roy did the 2.6-kilometre SuperRun in his wheelchair with his dad and some teammates. "It was hard, my arms are really, really tired," said the 11-year-old. "But when it was on streets, it was pretty light and easy."
Top 5 male marathoners:
- Teresa Fekensa, Toronto, 02:38:03.2
- Jeremy Walker, East St. Paul, Man. 02:39:07.9
- Jeff Sacco Winnipeg, 02:44:21.3
- Steffan Reimer Blumenort, Man. 02:45:12.2
- Chad Johnston, Victoria, B.C. 02:47:43.5
Top 5 female marathoners:
- (26) Emily Ratzlaff, Winnipeg, 03:14:38.8
- (28) Ali Cummings, Sudbury, Ont. 3:16:19.0
- (30) Rebecca Cunnane, Winnipeg, 03:16:36.4
- (32) Taylor Whittamore, Toronto, 03:17:09.4
- (40) Robynn Clark, Winnipeg, 03:19:38.8
More statistics from Sunday's race are available here.
Here's what the new finish line looked like:
Video of the new finish line at the Manitoba Marathon, courtesy of James Samanta. pic.twitter.com/nSIoiaD6at— @stevelambertwpg