A Manitoba man is suing Minute Maid and Canada Safeway after drinking juice he claims contained rodent remains.
Hamid Shahinfar, a long-distance truck driver, was driving to Texas when he took a sip of a bottle of Simply Orange juice and encountered something he first thought was pulp.
When he had difficulty chewing it, he realized something was wrong.
"He may have even swallowed some of it, and then when he finally took the contents and looked at it, he got very ill," said Sam Wilder, Shahinfar’s lawyer.
"It looked to him like a piece of rodent skin."
The lawsuit’s statement of claim says lab tests confirmed the small piece of skin, about the size of a nickel and covered in fur, was rodent remains.
The lawsuit says Shahinfar’s wife bought the two-litre jug of juice from a Pembina Highway Safeway location.
Wilder said Shahinfar, who lives in Howden, Man., is seeking damages from Minute Maid and Canada Safeway for mental anguish, loss of income and medical expenses.
Minute Maid's statement of defence says the company took all steps possible to ensure no foreign material of any kind could get into its juice.
The statement says it would be impossible for a "piece of fur as described by the plaintiff" to get into one of their bottles of juice.