60 more flood evacuees return home, 380 still displaced province-wide
116 evacuees returned home so far after evacuations due to flooding throughout the province
More than 60 people from Long Plain First Nation got to go home on Wednesday after being forced out by flooding earlier this year, although nearly 40 residents from the community are still temporarily displaced.
"I'm hoping everybody will be home next week," said Long Plain Chief Dennis Meeches. "We're just taking it day by day right now."
The remaining 37 evacuees from Long Plain are staying in hotels in Portage la Prairie, Man., and receiving support from the Canadian Red Cross.
They're among 380 remaining evacuees from First Nations around the province who had to leave their homes due to flooding this spring.
According to numbers provided by the Red Cross on Thursday, the evacuees come from these five communities:
- Peguis First Nation: 195
- Opaskwayak Cree Nation: 121
- Long Plain First Nation: 37
- Sioux Valley Dakota Nation: 29
- Canupawapka Dakota First Nation: 6
Most of the evacuees are staying in hotels, and a small number are staying with family and friends, the Red Cross said in a news release Thursday.
An additional 116 people have already returned home after being forced out, the release states.
The Red Cross has an agreement with the federal government to support the evacuees, which it has been doing for about three weeks. The charity has provided lodging, food and other essential items like hygiene products and diapers.