Winnipeg police confirmed the identity of a man who died following a 17-hour standoff that ended early Thursday morning as Andrew Baryluk, who had been embroiled in a family dispute over the house where the standoff took place.
Workers from the medical examiner's office were seen removing the body of Baryluk, 52, from the home at 512 Stella Ave. later in the morning.
Police had surrounded the house since about 11 a.m. CT Wednesday. Gunshots started ringing out from the home at one point in the evening, prompting officers to return fire.
The standoff ended by about 3:40 a.m. Thursday.
Police have not confirmed the cause of Baryluk's death.
The Winnipeg Police Service's tactical team entered the Stella Avenue residence around 3 a.m. to find Baryluk unconscious. He was later confirmed dead by paramedics from the tactical team members at the scene.
"We do have members that will be on scene here. We will be holding the scene for likely a number of hours, if not days, to process that. It's a normal process with our Identification Unit officers," Det.-Sgt. Natalie Aitken told reporters at 3:40 a.m.
"I can tell you that the threat has been resolved."
The standoff began when police received reports on Wednesday of a potentially threatening man inside a home.
"The information that we did have in receiving that call was that this individual possibly was threatening to harm officers and potentially himself," Aitken said shortly before midnight.
Aitken said police maintained contact with the man throughout the day Wednesday, but at 8:20 p.m., the contact soured and the man fired at officers.
A number of gunshots were heard as the standoff continued overnight, and officers were heard speaking to the man through a bullhorn.
Some residents who live nearby were told to stay inside their homes, while others left their homes and are not allowed to go back inside until investigators finish processing the scene.
No officers were injured during the incident.
Several members of the police service have been placed on administrative leave, as is usual practice after a major incident such as this.
The homicide unit will continue investigating, police said.
Family dispute over house
Andrew Baryluk had been ordered out of the Stella Avenue house by one of his brothers earlier this month, according to a court document obtained by CBC News.
The provincial Residential Tenancies Commission granted the brother, who was the landlord, an order of possession and ordered Baryluk to vacate the house by the end of day July 6.
The commission's order reveals a family dispute over the house, which was owned by Baryluk's mother until she died in 2004.
The mother had left a will giving each child a one-fifth stake in the ownership of the Stella Avenue house, but later on four of the siblings — including Andrew Baryluk, who was living in the home — legally signed over their shares to the brother.
The commission noted that not all the siblings agreed on whether Baryluk was allowed to continue living in the home "for the rest of his natural life."
Baryluk and a sister argued that there was an agreement allowing him to stay in the home, while the landlord said he would allow Baryluk "to live there only until it would start to cost him money or he could no longer look after it."
Another brother told the commission he never wanted Baryluk living in the home and wanted the brother to sell the house outright.
The brother who owned the house sold it earlier this year, prompting the eviction order.
"It is clear from a review of the evidence that there was no written agreement among the parties and whatever verbal discussions occurred about the length of Andrew's stay, there was not unanimity between the parties," the commission wrote.
"It cannot be said that any sort of agreement occurred and that all parties made assumptions upon which they are now acting upon."