osborne street bridge

A 25-year-old man is in custody facing a number of charges after going on a rampage Friday afternoon, starting at a business in Osborne Village, allegedly assaulting three people, stopping traffic and jumping off the Osborne Street Bridge. (William Eakin)

A 25-year-old man is in custody after an "aggressive shoplifter" armed with a knife allegedly went on a rampage, assaulting a security officer and two pedestrians before jumping into traffic and off the Osborne Street Bridge. 

Winnipeg Police said it all unfolded around 2 p.m. Friday afternoon in the 400 block of River Avenue.

They said a security officer apprehended the suspect, but then the man assaulted the 65-year-old guard and ran off. 

He then ran north and on the bridge, allegedly assaulted two male pedestrians, 23 and 53, leaving them with minor injuries.

Police said the man then ran into traffic, bringing traffic to an abrupt standstill. He damaged a van before jumping off the west side of the bridge and landing on the north bank of the Assiniboine. 

An officer who saw what happened chased the man and pepper sprayed him, but the man brandished a knife at other officers who arrived on the scene to help. 

Eventually, police said the man dropped the weapon after repeated demands.

He's been charged with a "multitude of offences" and is being held at the Provincial Remand Centre. 

Incident comes on heels of Domo shooting in Osborne Village

The rampage in Osborne Village comes just hours after police shot a robbery suspect at a Domo Gas Bar at the corner of Donald Street and Wardlaw Avenue Thursday. 

Police shot and wounded a 21-year-old man the Domo night manager said was trying to rob the gas bar. The man is in stable condition. 

Const. Eric Hofley said officers were still taking in the Domo shooting when the shoplifting incident turned violent Friday afternoon. 

"The incident the night before was barely 15 hours old, so that was in their minds," he said. "They're thinking, 'What are my options? What [is] my training?' The officers were able to use that training and end this without discharging a weapon."

Hofley said police were also happy the three people assaulted were not seriously injured.