Man, 22, dies after double shooting in Winnipeg

A man shot and killed in Winnipeg on the weekend was at another shooting a year ago, almost to the exact day, when one of his friends was killed.

Police investigating the death as a homicide

Justin Latinecz, 22, was found shot on Sunday outside in the 100 block of Essex Avenue, just off St. Mary's Road at about 4 a.m. (Family photo)

A man shot and killed in Winnipeg on the weekend was at another shooting a year ago, almost to the exact day, when one of his friends was killed.

Friends of Justin ​Latinecz told CBC News he was inside the Salisbury House restaurant in the 700 block of Pembina Highway at Stafford Street on Sept. 27, 2012, when Jeffrey Lau was shot and killed. 

Police are investigating in the 100 block of Essex Avenue, just off St. Mary's Street after two men were found with gun shot wounds outside a home in the area. (CBC)

Latinecz, 22, died Sunday after being shot outside his house on Essex Avenue near St. Mary's Road, in the city's St. Vital neighbourhood. 

Police found him as well as a 27-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds at about 4 a.m.

Latinecz was rushed to hospital in critical condition and died from his injuries.

The second victim was taken to hospital in stable condition.

Andy Coleman, who was friends with Latinecz since childhood, said the 22-year-old man got mixed up in the wrong crowd but was not a bad person. 

"His friend was the one that got shot there [at Salisbury House]. He was there when it happened," Coleman said.

"He was pretty shaken up about it."

Coleman hopes people remember Latinecz as a good person, not for the mistakes he might have made. 

Neighbours in shock about shooting 

Police have released very few details about what happened, but the shooting has left some people living in the neighbourhood shocked.

"Whether people need to be specifically concerned, of course we're always aware when these things happen nearby," said Const. Eric Hofley with the Winnipeg Police Service. 

 "At this time I don't have any information to believe this is someone that's going to be continuing on immediately with this type of violent behaviour," he said. 

Most people in the area said they didn't hear anything unusual overnight, but were surprised to wake up to the scene of a shooting across the street. 

"It's shocking," said neighbour Frances Gair. "You just don't think that would happen here. I just really didn't think it would happen here."

No arrests have been made. Officers continue to investigate at the scene. 

Police ask anyone with information about the shooting to contact them. 

This is the second shooting in St.Vital over the past several months. In March, a home on Worthington Avenue was shot at, but luckily no one was hurt in that incident.