John Taylor Collegiate fire causes $150K damage

A minor fire at a Winnipeg high school caused smoke, heat and water damage totalling about $150,000.
Fire crews were called to John Taylor Collegiate on Hamilton Avenue just after classes began on Tuesday. (CBC)

A minor fire at a Winnipeg high school caused smoke, heat and water damage totalling about $150,000.

The fire at John Taylor Collegiate broke out in a basement storage room around 9 a.m. CT Tuesday, just as classes were beginning.

All 700 students and staff got out safely as smoke spread through the school's ductwork.

Classes at John Taylor were cancelled for the rest of Tuesday and all day Wednesday.

The St. James Assiniboia School Division says the school will remain closed on Thursday, as crews continue to clean up from the fire.

Division officials say they hope classes will resume on Friday, but a decision won't be made until late Thursday afternoon.