A 21-year-old man died after a head-on crash between a semi-trailer and pickup truck just west of Winnipeg on Monday.
It happened just before 9:30 p.m. near the John Blumberg softball complex in Headingley. That section of the Trans-Canada Highway, just west of Winnipeg, was closed for about three hours as police investigated the scene.
The 21-year-old man, from Winnipeg, was the driver of the pickup.
Staff at the softball complex told CBC News the man was a baseball player who'd just finished a game there.
The 33-year-old Edmonton man who was driving the semi was transported to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
He has since been released from care and is currently in police custody.
The investigation into the collision continues by RCMP, and they won’t say if there are any charges pending against the man.
Dangerous roadway, locals say
Headlingley’s Mayor Wilfred Taillieu said the accident happened along a dangerous stretch of highway.
"We’ve had hundreds and hundreds of accidents here," he said.
Three people were killed in 2007 on the Trans-Canada in Headingley when an SUV caught fire after colliding head-on with a sedan.
Taillieu said his community has been calling on the provincial government to divide the twinned Highway 1 with a barrier all the way to Winnipeg.
So far, he said, only a small portion has been completed.
"People are frightened. They’re afraid to use the highway, and many people bypass it entirely," he said.
At least 20,000 vehicles pass through the area every day, and Taillieu said that number is growing.
Provincial officials said millions have been spent on the stretch, adding controlled intersections, service roads and rumble strips.
"The province recognizes that we needed to take some action, and that’s why we’ve been doing a phased approach to divide highways over time," said Lance Vigfusson, with Manitoba’s infrastructure and transportation department.
Vigfusson said the next construction phase will be completed in 2014.