Group home says worker in charge of sex offender broke rules
DASCH says individual "no longer affiliated" with home after sex offender charged again
The group home worker in charge of monitoring a registered sex offender accused of inappropriately touching a five-year-old boy earlier this month is "no longer affiliated" with the organization.
The organization that runs the group home, DASCH, Direct Action In Support Of Community Homes, sent an email to media outlets Thursday.
It comes after Winnipeg police said the 23-year-old man was charged after an incident at the St. Vital YMCA-YWCA April 9 involving the child.
Karen Fonseth, Chief Executive Officer of DASCH, which provides support for people with developmental disabilities,
said in an emailed statement "appropriate policies and procedures in place ... unfortunately were not followed in this instance by a specific individual."
She said the individual is no longer affiliated with the organization.
The 23-year-old man is in custody at the Provincial Remand Centre. He had previously been convicted of sexual assault in 2012.
As part of his sentence, he was ordered to live in a group home run by DASCH, and was only allowed to be at locations where people under the age of 16 would be present if a DASCH worker was in the immediate vicinity and had "direct visual supervision."
Fonseth said DASCH takes the matter very seriously. But she added since the matter is before the courts, it would be inappropriate to comment further.