Graham James case postponed to next week
There is no word yet on whether convicted sex offender Graham James will seek bail on the nine new charges he is facing.
A lawyer for James appeared briefly in court in Winnipeg on Thursday morning to have the case put over to Nov. 1.
James was not in court himself and remains in custody in Winnipeg.
The former junior hockey coach faces charges of sexual exploitation, sexual assault and gross indecency that date as far back as 1979.
The charges relate to three complainants, including former NHL star Theoren Fleury, who said Wednesday he is glad to see James taken off the streets. The other two complainants can't be named due to a publication ban.
James, 58, pleaded guilty in 1997 to assaulting two teenage players, including former NHLer Sheldon Kennedy, and was sentenced to three and a half years in prison.
He was pardoned three years ago, Earlier this year, the pardon came to light in the media and prompted public outrage, which led the federal government to toughen Canada's pardon system.
James, who had been living outside of Canada, returned to the country on Wednesday. He was met at Pearson International Airport by members of the Winnipeg Police Service at about 6:45 a.m. ET.
A warrant for James's arrest was issued by Winnipeg police on Oct. 13 in connection to the charges relating to the three complainants.
From Toronto, James was escorted to Winnipeg where he was arrested on the warrant.
Kennedy told CBC News Wednesday night that he was happy to hear James is again behind bars.
"When you've been abused, it's that feeling they're gonna hurt you, they're gonna get ya — never feeling safe," Kennedy said. "Tonight, I know he's not gonna get me."