Funding for Winnipeg emergency shelter beds denied
Air Date: May 18, 2017 11:20 AM CT
The Red Road Lodge has been trying for months to secure funding for the beds, which would be devoted primarily to women. But the province says the lodge won't be receiving any additional funding, citing a lack of need for more shelter beds.
Latest Manitoba News Headlines
Police are looking for three unknown men — one dressed as a jester — who tried to rob a restaurant with a shotgun on Tuesday night before being overpowered by staff and patrons, in a scene a witness described as "complete mayhem." Video: Tyler Nicholls/Facebook.
Firefighters are battling a blaze in the Bélair Provincial Forest, northeast of Grand Beach. The fire covers about four hectares of forest and is mostly under control but gusting winds have whipped up the flames every so often.
Top News Headlines
- Gord Downie remembered by fans, Canadians far and wide
- Quebec's new religious neutrality law offers a special level of hypocrisy: Neil Macdonald
- Researchers say it's time to crack open AI 'black boxes' and look for the biases inside
- Officials confirm that ammonia leak killed 3 at arena in Fernie, B.C.
- Wire-bristle BBQ brush incident reports more than double
- Kids get 'tie and scarf' day as Halloween costumes banned at Winnipeg school
- Missing woman last seen in Winnipeg's South Pointe neighbourhood
- Family of teen who tripped and fell into water tank on Manitoba farm releases statement
- Police chasing jester, masked man after attempted armed robbery at Winnipeg bar
- Woman 'relieved' after rare horses auctioned off to farms across Canada, U.S.
- Fire burns close to Manitoba town of Camperville, sheds destroyed
- 2 families, 3 missing and murdered Indigenous women; inquiry reveals how tragedy follows tragedy
- 'Very tragic': Teen, 14, dies after falling into water tank in RM of Whitehead
'What will it take — a death?' Surgeon urges Health Canada ban on wire brushes
Prominent pediatrician to go to trial this fall
Privacy law restricts sharing information in reference checks, says U of M
CBC digs deeper on the stories of the day