This week is National Forest Week, and Manitobans can mark the occasion by planting seedlings that are being given away free of charge.
Manitoba Conservation and the Manitoba Forestry Association are giving away white spruce seedlings at a number of their offices and other locations across the province.
The forestry association's office in Winnipeg had some saplings to give away on Monday, but here are some locations where they will be available this week:
Monday to Friday (Sept. 24-28):
- Manitoba Conservation, Highway 502, Lac du Bonnet — 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 27:
- Manitoba Conservation, 340 Ninth St., Brandon — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Morden Farmers Market, Morden — 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 28:
- Manitoba Conservation, 200 Saulteax Cres., Winnipeg — 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Manitoba Conservation, 284 Reimer Ave., Steinbach — 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
This year, National Forest Week is highlighting the importance of forests to the "ecological, economic and social health and aboriginal and non-aboriginal communities across Canada," the two agencies said in a release.