Fire sends 2 people to hospital in Winnipeg, cat rescued

Two people are in hospital, one in serious condition, after an apartment fire in Winnipeg.

Two people are in hospital, one in serious condition, after an apartment fire in Winnipeg.

Officials say careless cooking caused the fire, just after 11 p.m., in a fifth-floor suite in the 100 block of Clarke Street, near River Avenue and Donald Street.

Both adults in the suite suffered smoke inhalation.

One is in serious condition, the other is stable, police said.

A cat was also in the suite and was rescued.

Officials say damage is estimated at $110,000.

 

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.