Fire at Mint in Winnipeg may have been sparked by electrical short

An electrical short is being blamed for sparking a fire at the Royal Canadian Mint in Winnipeg Sunday night.

An electrical short may be to blame for a fire at the Royal Canadian Mint in Winnipeg on Sunday night, fire officials say.

Fire crews were called to the federal facility around 7 p.m. local time. The fire reportedly started in an electroplating vat, which is where coins are coated.

Damage is estimated at $300,000. No one was injured.

The blaze is the third in as many years at the Winnipeg plant.

A report obtained by the Canadian Press last year suggested the Mint had installed the wrong sprinklers at its Winnipeg plant after a fire in the copper-plating section of the facility in September 2005, making the plant vulnerable to another fire in the same area in 2006.