Family of oxygen-deprived boy with brain damage in upheaval
'Something did happen in that ambulance,' 2-year-old's aunt charges
The parents of a two-year-old Manitoba boy who suffered severe brain damage allegedly caused during an air ambulance transfer have had their lives thrown into upheaval.
Emily Moar and Blair Campbell are packing up their belongings in Brandon and putting them in storage.
Campbell has also had to quit his job at a drywall company as the couple prepares to relocate to Winnipeg to be near their son, Morgan Moar Campbell.
Morgan just had a difficult night with laboured breathing and might need to be put on a ventilator later this week, the family said.
A STARS air crew picked up Morgan in Brandon on May 2, for a flight to Winnipeg's Children's Hospital, because he had experienced a seizure.
He was sedated and had a breathing tube inserted in his throat, but the tube somehow came out while he was being moved from the helicopter to an ambulance in Winnipeg, according to his family.
STARS, Manitoba Health investigate
Campbell told CBC News on Wednesday that his son would have been fine if he had not been deprived of oxygen for about 30 minutes.
STARS (Shock Trauma Air Rescue Society) operates a medical helicopter that is like a "flying emergency room," travelling across Manitoba to help the critically ill or injured.
Officials with STARS are investigating the incident, which is also under review by Manitoba Health.
"I know STARS didn't purposely hurt my nephew. I know it's their job to protect and to care, but something did happen in that ambulance and why is it so hard for them not to tell us?" said Bonnie Moar, Morgan's aunt.