For those who can't wait to get that real Christmas tree out of the house, the City of Winnipeg is ready to help out.
Starting Thursday, 11 Let's Chip In recycle depots will open for people to drop off those no-longer-needed trees.
People are urged to first remove all tinsel, decorations, plastic bags, and tree stands. The trees will be sent through a wood chipper and used for compost and mulch.
Anyone is welcome to help themselves to the chips, which will be available at the depots in early January, while quantities last.
Winnipeggers recycled 15,000 trees last season.
The depots will be open until Jan. 20.
They are located at:
- Charleswood Centre — 3900 Grant Ave. on the southwest corner of the Safeway parking lot along Haney Street (24-hour access)
- Kildonan Park — 2015 Main St. at the Rainbow Stage parking lot (7 a.m to 10 a.m.)
- Kilcona Park — Lagimodiere Boulevard and McIvor Avenue in the off-leash dog park parking lot (7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
- Whittier Park — 178 Messager St. with access off St. Joseph Street (24-hour access)
- St. James Civic Centre — 2055 Ness Ave. at the northwest corner parking lot (24-hour access)
- Firehall No. 17 — 1501 Church Ave. at Sheppard Street (7 a.m to 10 a.m.)
- Vimy Arena — 255 Hamilton Ave. at Vimy Road (24-hour access)
- St. Vital Park — 190 River Rd., south parking lot (8 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
- Transcona — Chrislind Street and Ravelston Avenue (24-hour access)
- King’s Park — 198 King’s Dr., south parking lot (8 a.m. to 10 p.m.)
- Winnipeg Soccer Complex — 900 Waverley St. at Victor Lewis Drive (24-hour access)