A Winnipeg man convicted of shooting two men at an Elmwood house party in 2009 when he was just 17 will be sentenced as an adult.

Tyler "T.J." Hawula and Matthew Reynolds, both 18, were killed in the Dec. 5, 2009, shooting in the 400 block of Martin Avenue in the city's Elmwood area.

Two teens were convicted in their killing -- one 16 at the time of the shooting and the other 17.

Earlier this year, a Winnipeg judge handed the teen who was 16 at the time of the shooting three concurrent life sentences for his role in the deaths. Blake Whiteway was given no chance of parole for at least 10 years.

On Tuesday, Justice Perry Schulman ruled his co-convicted, now 20 years old, would be sentenced as an adult. CBC can't publish the man's name because he committed the crime as a teen. Once he is sentenced as an adult, his identity can be revealed.

Schulman told the court an adult sentence would be sufficient, considering the devastating nature of the crime.

During his trial, the court heard the two teens had been kicked out of a party at Hawula’s house. People were nervous because the pair were showing off knives and bragging about being in a gang, according to testimony.

When Hawula ordered the teens to leave, one yelled that they were going to return and "blow the place up."

The pair returned with weapons, and Whiteway fatally shot both Hawula and Reynolds.

The court heard the man enlisted gang members to return with him, including Whiteway.

"These crimes were not impulsive," said Schulman. "I reject the defence submission [the man’s] conduct over a period of years as evidence of immaturity."

Schulman said the man also did not try to turn his life around while in custody. Instead, Schulman said, he joined a gang and was such a threat to fellow inmates he had to be removed from youth facilities.

"Courts often see accused persons use their pre-trial and pre-sentencing time to turn their lives around and prove at a sentencing hearing that they are strong candidates for rehabilitation," Schulman explained. "[This man] moved in the other direction."

Because the man was convicted of first-degree murder, he now faces life in prison.