Public funeral to be held for Guelph officer killed in crash
Service for Const. Jennifer Kovach to be held March 21 at Sleeman Centre
Posted: Mar 15, 2013 9:34 PM ET
Last Updated: Mar 15, 2013 11:39 PM ET
A public funeral will be held next week to celebrate the life of a Guelph police constable who was killed in a crash in the line of duty.
"The Kovach family has generously agreed to a public funeral to celebrate and remember the life of Jennifer," the Guelph Police Service said in a statement Friday.
Const. Jennifer Kovach, 26, died Thursday after losing control of her cruiser and crossing the median line, colliding head-on with a Guelph Transit bus.
At the time of the crash, she was responding to another officer's request for assistance, police said. She was taken to Guelph General Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Kovach had been a police officer — her childhood dream — in Guelph for four years, according to police.
Details of the funeral are not yet finalized, but the service will take place on March 21 at 11:30 a.m. at the Sleeman Centre in Guelph.
More details will be posted on the Guelph city website and Guelph police website next week.
Latest Kitchener-Waterloo News Headlines
- Five Fun Things To Do in Waterloo Region This Weekend – May 18-20
- Looking for something fun to do in Waterloo Region? Online host Andrea Bellemare has you covered, with everything from fireworks to a dog show to a parade. more »
- Tim Bosma public memorial Wednesday in Hamilton, Ont.
- As plans to honour Tim Bosma take shape for next week in Hamilton, Ont., CBC News has learned the man accused in his slaying purchased a Toronto condo less than 24 hours after Bosma went missing. more »
- Eastern Ontario earthquake felt in Waterloo Region
- Several people in Waterloo Region have reported feeling tremors or shaking after two earthquakes were reported by federal authorities in Ontario and Quebec. more »
- Kitchener considers changes to Rockway Centre
- The City of Kitchener will be considering a number of potential changes to the Rockway Community Centre later this month. more »
Top News Headlines
- Rescue attempt over for New Brunswick fishermen
- The rescue attempt for two missing fishermen has been called off in New Brunswick, hours after one body was found. more »
- Spectator killed at Edmonton Jeep event
- A 20-year-old woman died Saturday during an event for Jeep enthusiasts held in a parking lot just west of downtown Edmonton. more »
- Astronaut Chris Hadfield adjusts to 'earthling' life
- Canada's space ambassador, Chris Hadfield, is still readapting to life on this planet after spending 146 days in zero gravity as commander of the International Space Station. For now, though, he's taking his homecoming one step at a time. more »
- Winning ticket sold in Florida for $590M Powerball jackpot
- A lottery official says one winning ticket has been sold in Florida for a record Powerball jackpot of more than $590 million. more »