'No reasonable grounds:' SIU won't charge Guelph officers over 2016 arrest

The SIU will not be laying charges against two Guelph Police officers in relation to the May, 2016 arrest of a 36-year-old man who claimed the officers assaulted him.

36-year-old man claimed officers assaulted him during arrest in May 2016, causing 2 broken ribs

Ontario’s police watchdog has called an investigation after a man was struck by a vehicle near the Strathroy OPP detachment. (CBC)

Ontario's Special Investigations Unit (SIU) says it found "no reasonable grounds to lay criminal charges" against two Guelph Police Service (GPS) officers in relation to the arrest of a 36-year-old man in May 2016. The man claimed the officers assaulted him during the arrest.

According to a report from the SIU, the complainant stated that two GPS officers came to his apartment at 1:17 a.m. to investigate a domestic related matter, pulled him from his apartment and assaulted him, which caused two broken ribs.

The report said police received a call on May 23, 2016 from a woman alleging that the complainant had been violent in her home, had stolen a bike from her neighbour and alleged that he had taken her house keys.

The woman later explained that he was not physically violent but did describe him as drunk. The man was later arrested for being intoxicated in the common area of his building.

The next day, the complainant went to the hospital and was assessed as having two fractured ribs. He alleged that his injuries were as a result of being assaulted by police, the report said.

However, the SIU didn't find reasonable grounds to lay charges on the officers.

Report findings: little credibility

"On all of the evidence, I am unable to find that the complainant's account of the incident rises to the level required to provide me the reasonable grounds for the laying of criminal charges, especially in light of the fact that the complainant was intoxicated, whereas [the officer] was not," said Tony Loparco, director of the SIU in the report.

"In this case, there is no evidence to support the claims of the complainant that he was assaulted by police on May 23, 2016, other than the injury itself, and because the numerous and serious inconsistencies with respect to how he was injured, leave him with little, if any, credibility or reliability upon which I can find reasonable grounds to believe that excessive force was used during his arrest."