Fentanyl found in naloxone kit 'human error' says Loblaw
In a statement to CBC KW, Loblaw said it was an isolated incident
Shoppers Drug Mart says it's taking the necessary steps to prevent "a human error" from happening again after a customer found fentanyl vials in naloxone kits they picked up at a the store's pharmacy in Elmira.
The Ministry of Health was notified of the incident on Feb. 5.
"We share the view that this is a considerable error, and one that absolutely should not have happened," reads a statement sent to CBC KW from Loblaw Companies Limited, who owns Shoppers Drug Mart.
Loblaw said the pharmacist was able to get the naloxone kits back from the customers, provide them with the right medication and apologized.
Loblaw and the Ministry of Health said it was an isolated incident and there is no risk to the public.
Province, feds, college investigating
"This was a case of human error," the statement said, adding that they are taking the necessary steps to prevent this kind of incident from re-occurring.
"It is important that customers understand that this isolated event should not reduce their confidence in naloxone kits as an effective response for accidental opioid overdose," said the statement.
Health Canada told CBC News, it is working with the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care and the Ontario College of Pharmacists in an investigation into what circumstances led to the incident.