Const. Kovach funeral: Key road and logistical information
Road closures and bus route changes expected
The public funeral service for Const. Jennifer Kovach will take place at the Sleeman Centre at 50 Woolwich Street in Guelph later this morning.
The ceremony will start at 11:30 a.m. However, police are asking that members of the public arrive at the Sleeman Centre between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
Entry for the public will be at Gate 5 only, and the first 1,000 people will be given access to the centre. Overflow seating will be made available at the River Run Centre, where the funeral will be broadcast on projector screens. The ceremony will also be broadcast by audio to the old Quebec Street mall.
The funeral procession will result in a number of road closures and changes to Guelph Transit schedules.
- Sections of Woolwich and Wyndham Streets will be closed to through traffic and parking will not be permitted. Access to businesses will be maintained until about 9:00 a.m. Roads will be re-opened mid-afternoon.
- Expect delays on Gordon Street between College Avenue and Wellington Street between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m.
- Surrey Street between Gordon Street and Wyndham Street will be closed for most of the morning.
- The funeral procession from the funeral home will start at 10:00 a.m. Expect delays on Gordon Street as the procession makes its way downtown.
- At around 1:30 p.m., the funeral procession will make its way to the cemetery. Expect traffic delays along Woolwich Street and Norfolk Street from downtown to Woodlawn Road.
Bus route changes
- Guelph Transit will provide service on a 30-minute service frequency schedule. Guelph Transit is asking passengers to refer to the Saturday schedule for scheduled arrival times, which can be found here.
- Guelph Transit will continue to service Guelph Central Station (GCS), but buses will be re-routed from 5:45 a.m. until 6:45 p.m.
- Stops in St. George’s Square and surrounding areas will be out of service. Guelph Transit will return to regular weekday service frequency on Friday, March 22.
- A list of Guelph Transit bus stops which will be closed on March 21 can be found here.
- Parking is restricted in the vicinity of the Sleeman Centre and Guelph Police headquarters. Parking downtown is expected to be tight, so Guelph Police are asking people to carpool and use public transportation.
- The City is waiving daily parking fees for all downtown lots and parkades from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Daily parking is always free after 6 p.m.
- Unless otherwise posted, cars parked on downtown streets between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. on Thursday, March 21 will be towed in preparation for the funeral service.
Below is a map of available parking lots and road closures.