Notifications

Car fire started by exploding e-cigarette, police say

One person was taken to hospital after an e-cigarette exploded, causing a car fire Monday night in Kitchener.

One person taken to hospital

One person was taken to hospital after a e-cigarette exploded, causing a car fire Monday night in Kitchener. (Regis Duvignau /Reuters)

One person was taken to hospital Monday evening after an e-cigarette malfunctioned, sparking a car fire.

Police, fire and ambulance crews were called to a home on Snowdrop Crescent in Kitchener's west end around 6:30 p.m. Monday.

Police said an 18-year-old man sustained non-life threatening injuries. He was taken to hospital for treatment.

Jeff Wildfang of Kitchener Fire Prevention said fire crews were called out for a car fire.

Wildfang said they will be following up with the Ontario Fire Marshal to see if they keep track of fires started by malfunctioning e-cigarettes.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.