3 stop work orders lifted from Waterloo construction site

The Ontario Ministry of Labour has lifted 3 of 5 stop work orders on Waterloo based property rental Maison Canada, following the death of a construction worker last week.

Inspector revisited construction site Wednesday

The 3 stop work orders were lifted Wednesday after a visit by a ministry field inspector. (Matthew Kang/CBC)

The Ontario Ministry of Labour says it has removed three stop work orders at the high-rise site where 23-year-old construction worker Nick Lalonde fell to his death last Friday.

Ministry spokesperson Matt Blajer says Maison Canada, the Waterloo property rental company which manages the site, can allow construction to proceed on ten floors of the site but some restrictions remain in place.

“Maison Canada was also authorized to access the 11th floor and above, but simply for the purpose of complying with the orders that pertain to those upper portions of the project.”

A funeral for Lalonde, who was installing masonry block on the 12th floor of the building when he fell, was held in London today.

The ministry says its investigation into his death is ongoing.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.