As police continue their hunt for more suspects in the murder of Tim Bosma, the outpouring of public grief and sympathy continues.
Across southern Ontario people are getting together to remember and pray for Bosma and his family.
Here's a list of events being held in memory of the man who was killed after going on a test drive with two men who answered his ad about a truck for sale.
Donations, vigils and condolences
Thursday, May 16
- People are invited to attend a prayer vigil tonight in St. Catharines to show their support for the Bosma family. The prayer vigil will be held at Covenant Christian Reformed Church on Parnell Road at 7:30 p.m. The St. Catharines Standard reported that Bosma's sister and aunt are members of the congregation.
Friday, May 17
- In Ancaster, mourners are invited to pay respects to family and sign a book of condolences between 2 p.m. and 9 p.m. at the Ancaster Old Town Hall, 310 Wilson St. E.
- In Brantford, a candlelight vigil will be held at 7 p.m. at Harmony Square. Organizers say the event is not a fundraiser and no one associated with the event will ask for donations for the family
- From now until Aug. 1, the Toronto band In My Coma will donate all proceeds from the sale of their song My Friend to the trust fund set up for Bosma's family.
- A trust fund has also been set up to help support Bosma's wife and daughter. Donations can be made at any Toronto-Dominion Bank in Canada. The account number is 6332096, and the branch number 2047.
- Donation fund set up for Tim Bosma's family
Toronto police confirm suspect's father committed suicide
Meanwhile, a police source told CBC News that investigators believe Bosma may have been killed as the result of an attempted carjacking.
The same police source said that Bosma's truck was found with seats missing. A spokesperson for Hamilton police wouldn't comment on this information.
Police have received more than 700 tips from the public and continue to urge people to call 905-546-2100 with information. No updates on the case are expected Thursday.
Dellen Millard, 27, who was initially charged with forcible confinement and theft, is now facing a first-degree murder charge in Bosma's death. Millard will plead not guilty to the charge, according to his lawyer. Earlier this week, Millard's home was raided by Toronto police, neighbours said. He lived there alone after his father, Wayne, died six months ago.
Toronto police have confirmed they investigated the 2012 death of Wayne Millard and concluded it was a suicide.
Police are also continuing their investigation at a farm near Cambridge, which is owned by Millard.
Q & A with Dellen Millard's lawyer
CBC News interviewed Dellen Millard's lawyer, Deepak Paradkar, on Tuesday, the following is an abridged transcript of that interview:
Q. What has your client said to you?
Paradkar: "I can’t get into any kind of privileged conversation, but I can simply indicate that we intend to defend the case, we intend to put the Crown to the proof that’s required beyond a reasonable doubt, and the nature of the crime being serious, it’s my obligation as a lawyer to take such cases on and defend them."
Q. Was it a surprise to find out remains were found at a property owned by your client?
Paradkar: "I think ultimately when the publication ban is lifted and we get to trial, you might hear a backstory to what has happened. I don’t think there should be a rush to judgment. On its face it appears to be a very strong Crown case, as often cases do when they start initially. As they progress, we’ll see what the evidence is."
Q. When can we expect a trial date?
Paradkar: "For the preliminary inquiry where we get to test the evidence and examine the evidence, I would expect that would be about a year from now. The trial I would expect would probably be two years from now."
Q. What will happen with your client in the meantime?
Paradkar: "At this point, he’s remaining in custody until such time that we know the strength of the Crown’s case and make a determination if we’re going to go for bail or not."
Q. When could you apply for bail?
Paradkar: "The earliest I could anticipate is when we get the first round of disclosure, which I expect based on my experience would be probably three to four months. [That] would actually be the first time we would be able to see how strong the Crown’s case is."
Q. How is his family doing?
Paradkar: "The family is very shocked and stunned by the recent developments – particularly the upgrade of the charges."
Q. Is there anything else you can tell us?
Paradkar: "He’s entitled to be presumed innocent. We are going to defend this case, we are going to take it to trial."