Monday is Labour Day, the public holiday that marks the end of the last long weekend of summer.
As it's a government-mandated day off — not to mention one that commemorates the contributions of workers — many services, both public and private, won't be open for business.
Here's a list of what's open and what's closed in Hamilton on Monday:
- City-run outdoor pools (Check the city's website for hours)
- Movie theatres
- LCBO and The Beer Store locations
- Most supermarkets
- Government offices
- All Hamilton Public Library branches
- All city-run recreation centres and arenas (except for outdoor pools)
- All Hamilton Civic Museum locations
- Jackson Square, Lime Ridge and Eastgate Square malls
Trash and transit
- There will be no garbage, blue box or green bin pickup on Monday (Pickup this week will occur the day after the regularly scheduled collection date)
- The HSR will be operating on a Sunday/Holiday schedule
- DARTS will be running on a holiday schedule
- GO trains and buses will be running on a Sunday schedule
For more information on how the holiday will affect city services, go to Hamilton.ca/HotTopics/WhatsOpen+-+LabourDay.htm.
The following roads will be closed from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Monday for the Hamilton and District Labour Council's annual Labour Day parade:
- York Boulevard is closed from Dundurn to Bay
- Queen Street is closed from York to Main
- Cannon Street is closed from Bay to Queen
- Bay Street is closed from Main to Cannon
- King Street is closed from Bay to Queen
- Main Street is closed from Locke to Bay
The Claremont Access is closed for maintenance until Monday at noon.