The first round of voting is over, and the internet has spoken: here are the top 25 Hamilton-area acts for this year’s CBC Searchlight competition.
Searchlight's boundaries for Hamilton stretch from Niagara to Brantford.
- Jordan Raycroft - We the People, from Welland
- The Medicine Hat - Old Bones, from Hamilton
- Cory Cruise - Broken Promises, from Thorold
- Jamie Shea – Home, from Hamilton
- Eliza Pope - B&W (Please skip first 40 seconds), from Hamilton
- Evan Champagne - Way Back, from Brantford
- THE ON - Heart Break Me, from Burlington
- StereoKid - Mission For Love, from Oakville
- From the Bridge - White Paper, from Dundas
- Day Drunk - The Stories We Will Tell, from Hamilton
- The Kerouacs - No Stone No Doubt, from Niagara Falls
- Steven Elmo Murphy - Oh Lordy Baby, from Brantford
- Chelsea Crites - 4 Wheel Drive, from Port Colborne
- Ginger ST James – Furious, from Hamilton
- Rachael Kennedy - Living Your Heart Out, from Toronto
- Bradon Dougherty - Time Will Show, from Burlington
- The Killin' Time Band – Run, from Burlington
- Nicole Rayy - Country Wild, from Burlington
- Copy Red Leader - Tatooine Blues, from Ancaster
- Caffrey – Stockholme, from Brantford
- Paul Federici - Strange Disease, from St. Catharines
- Matt Errs - The Other Side, from Toronto
- The Human Orchestra - Bad Jokes, from Hamilton
- Clear Stone - Love Takes Time, from Hamilton
- Black Rhino Riot - The Hook, from Hamilton
These 25 acts move on to the regional semi-finals. Two acts are listed as from Toronto, but they still fall within the contest’s borders for the Hamilton region.
Searchlight is a massive, coast-to-coast competition that connects artists with fans in their community and across the country. Fans get to vote on their favourite acts in an effort to push them along and compete against other artists across Canada.
The grand prize includes $20,000 worth of music equipment from Yamaha Canada Music, a professional recording from CBC Music and an opening spot on a high-profile music showcase.
Hamilton folk/traditional band Poor Angus made it all the way to the finals last year, before losing out to Sherman Downey and the Ambiguous Case from Newfoundland. On the way, the band got lots of exposure leading up to the release of their new Album, Gathering.
Head over to the Hamilton Searchlight page for more info on the contest and to vote in the second round.