No charges laid in Ferguson city hall shoving investigation

The OPP has dropped their investigation against Coun. Lloyd Ferguson in the matter of him grabbing a local journalist at Hamilton city hall last year.

Ferguson: 'It's gone on long enough'

OPP say they've wrapped up the "historical assault" investigation at Hamilton city hall. Coun. Lloyd Ferguson says officers told him Wednesday that no charges would be laid. (Samantha Craggs/CBC)

The OPP has wrapped up their investigation and not laid any charges in the matter of Coun. Lloyd Ferguson grabbing a local journalist at Hamilton city hall last year.

The Ancaster councillor released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying the OPP visited him. The officers told him that "after a long and thorough investigation, there will be no further action," he said.

Ferguson told CBC Hamilton that was the result he expected, and it aligns with the findings of the city's integrity commissioner.

"It's gone on long enough," said Ferguson, who is also chair of the Hamilton Police Services board.

The OPP never did confirm that they were investigating the incident, saying only that they were investigating a "historical assault" at Hamilton city hall. 

Sgt. Dave Rektor from the OPP confirmed Wednesday that the "historical assault" investigation has concluded, and "no charges have been laid."

The OPP said in March that it was investigating an incident after Hamilton Police Service identified a conflict of interest.

The incident happened on Feb. 24, 2014. After a long, contentious meeting, Ferguson grabbed Joey Coleman, an independent journalist who live streams city hall meetings, and moved him about one metre.

Hamilton integrity commissioner Earl Basse investigated the incident, saying that Ferguson violated the code of conduct. But Basse did not recommend sanctions.

Ferguson also said he'd donate $1,000 to the Ancaster Community Services organization and step down from the subcommittee that chose a new integrity commissioner/lobbyist registrar. 

Coleman wouldn't comment Wednesday, saying he was waiting for the OPP to issue a statement. He was vocal against Basse's report earlier this year though, as was Ontario Ombudsman André Marin, who said it was incomplete and likened it to work done by a third grader.

Comments

To encourage thoughtful and respectful conversations, first and last names will appear with each submission to CBC/Radio-Canada's online communities (except in children and youth-oriented communities). Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted.

By submitting a comment, you accept that CBC has the right to reproduce and publish that comment in whole or in part, in any manner CBC chooses. Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. Comments on this story are moderated according to our Submission Guidelines. Comments are welcome while open. We reserve the right to close comments at any time.