Main Street Fire 3:30

A pot left unattended on the kitchen stove started a fire in a low-rise home on Main Street East Tuesday night, sending one person to hospital.

Firefighters were called to 1607 Main St. E. at 9:05 p.m. Twenty firefighters from eight units gained control of the fire in about 15 minutes.   

Occupants of two of the three units in the house were evacuated. They received help from the Red Cross.  One was taken to hospital for smoke inhalation.

Disaster Management Coordinator for Red Cross Hamilton, Lyndie Ramsey said they helped seven people.

"We were able to provide emergency assistance including food, clothing and lodging," Ramsey said.

Firefighters first thought a mom and a baby were in the house, but arrived to find they had already evacuated. The fire, which started in the kitchen on the first floor, caused $35,000 in damages.

"We have to really be aware that when we’re cooking we don’t leave a pot on the stove," Mostacci said.