Hamilton weather, traffic and more: Daystarter Friday

Here's your news, weather and traffic for Friday, August 29.
What will Hamilton become in 2015? Share your three wishes with us. (Cory Ruf/CBC)

As tempting as it is to deny it, the last long weekend of the summer is here. And unfortunately, rain and a chance of thunderstorms are in the forecast for both Saturday and Sunday. But if it’s any consolation, Monday is set to be a beauty.

Ontario Provincial Police aren’t reporting any collision on highways in the Hamilton area.

GO Transit isn’t reporting any major delays on its train and bus lines running in and out of Hamilton.

After waking up to temperatures around the 12 C mark, Hamiltonians can expect things to warm up to a high of 24 C on Friday. Mainly sunny skies are in the forecast, according to Environment Canada. A low of 16 C is in store for the overnight period.

Muggier weather is set to take hold on Saturday. A high of 30 C and a 40 per cent chance of showers, with the risk of a thunderstorm, are in the forecast for the day. And a high of 24 C and a 60 per cent chance of showers, again with a risk of a thunderstorm, are in store for Sunday. 

But Monday is set to be glorious. Sunny skies and a high of 26 C are in the forecast for Labour Day. 

In case you haven’t noticed, Hamilton is on stadium-completion watch. The city says that it won’t be able to approve the occupancy permit for the Ticats’ new home, Tim Hortons Field, until at least Sunday afternoon. The stadium is scheduled to host the Labour Day Classic, the annual contest between the Tabbies and their arch-rivals the Toronto Argonauts, on Monday. To say things are coming down to the wire might be an understatement.

Twitter user @Alwaysaredhead tweeted this gorgeous sunrise photo to CBC Hamilton. Thanks! 

Some children react positively to the news that they're getting a new sibling. Others, not so much. Shanee Gibson Hart, of Fort Lewis, Washington, posted this video of the time when she broke the news that she was pregnant to her young son and toddler daughter.

The boy was articulate in his outrage, to say the least. The cry "This is exasperating!" actually came out of his mouth. Kids, as the cliché goes, say the darnedest things. (h/t Time)