Hamilton police make several drunk driving arrests in "middle of the day'
Hamilton Police were busy this weekend with many impaired driving incidents across the city, especially mid-day.
It looks like several Hamilton drivers aren't getting the message about drunk driving, no matter what time of day it is.
Hamilton Police Const. Debbie McGreal-Dinning sent that tweet Monday morning after a weekend of arrests that included eight drunk driving charges, five of which took place in the afternoon.
"In 2013 I'm still shocked every Monday when I come in that there's been impaireds over the weekend," she said. "Impaired driving is 100 per cent preventable. There's no rhyme or reason."
Here's a list of the drunk driving incidents that took place in Hamilton between Friday April 19 at 1:30 p.m. and 2:15 a.m. on Sunday April 21.
Friday, April 19
- 1:30 p.m. On April 19 around 1:30 p.m., city police arrested a 51-year-old Stoney Creek man and took him to the station. He blew over two times the legal limit. The drunk driver was found behind the wheel in the Queenston Road and Riverdale Drive area.
- 2:10 p.m. Forty minutes later, officers responded to a single vehicle crash in the Red Hill Valley and Barton Street East area. Witnesses gave police a description of two males who fled the scene. Both men were located and police discovered one of them was the driver of the abandoned vehicle involved in the accident. A 46-year-old Hamilton man was charged with being impaired. He blew two times over the legal limit.
- 2:45 p.m. Shortly after, a 78-year-old Ancaster man was arrested for drunk driving in the Golf Links Road area in Ancaster.
Saturday, April 20
- 11:30 p.m. On Saturday around 11:30 p.m., police responded to another road accident, this time at the Beach Boulevard and Kirk Road area. A 61-year-old Hamilton woman was charged after sending another motorist to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries. After breathalyzer test, the woman was charged with impaired driving.
Sunday, April 21
- 1:45 a.m. Sunday began with an early morning arrest after a 33-year-old Hamilton man was found driving drunk around 1:45 a.m. in the Lawrence and Kenilworth Avenue area.
- 12:30 p.m. While conducting traffic enforcement, officers arrested and charged a 40-year-old Hamilton man for speeding and drunk driving in the Whitechurch Road area around 12:30 p.m.
- 3:30 p.m. Three hours later, a 37-year-old Hamilton man was found drunk inside his vehicle at the Food Basics parking lot on Barton Street East. The car mounted a curb and struck a vehicle.
Monday, April 22
- 2:15 a.m. 42-year-old Hamilton man was arrested after a traffic stop revealed he was drunk. The man was pulled off the road in the Barton and Fraser Street neighbourhood.