Hamilton man charged after police stage takedown on GO bus
Officers storm bus on QEW after reports of man with knife
A 41-year-old Hamilton man has been charged after he allegedly took out a knife inside a Toronto-bound GO bus Saturday night.
Heavily armed police officers stormed a GO bus full of passengers around 9:45 p.m. after reports about a person with a knife.
The driver had stopped the Hamilton-Toronto bus on the QEW near Royal Windsor Drive in east Oakville.
Ontario Provincial Police and the Halton Regional Police said they undertook what's called a high-risk take down.
Halton Regional Police Staff Sgt. Craig Platt said officers arrested a 41-year-old Hamilton man at the scene.
Platt said a knife was found close to where the man had been sitting.
The Hamilton man faces one count of assault with a weapon, even though no one was struck or injured in the incident.
Under Canadian criminal law, "there are often gestures that would meet the threshold of an assault," Platt said.
Police released the accused, and he is scheduled to appear in a Milton courtroom on Oct. 21.