Morning, Hamilton. It’s frigidly cold out there this morning, with a wind chill warning in effect for the city. Bundle up.
Some water main breaks are also causing problems in the city. Hamilton police report that Ottawa Street is closed between Beach and Burlington for a water main break, as well as Parkdale being closed between Burlington and Glow for a second one. Avoid those areas if possible.
GO buses to and from Hamilton are running as scheduled, after the 6:35 Hamilton to Aldershot was cancelled due to a mechanical problem.
Construction is also back on Barton Street Between Nash and Centennial.
Lane restrictions will be implemented on Barton Street between Nash and Centennial. As part of the work, Nash Road north of Barton will be partially closed for several weeks and motorists are advised to follow the posted detour route to access all businesses.
These restrictions are required so crews can complete a large water main connection within the intersection.
Here are the problems being reported by police in and around the city this morning:
- A vehicle collision on Longwood Road South and Aberdeen Avenue. 9:05 a.m.
- A vehicle collision at Landron Avenue and Carson Drive. 8:53 a.m.
- A vehicle collision at the Linc and Upper Wentworth. 8:52 a.m.
- A vehicle collision at Mohawk Road East. 8:42 a.m.
- A vehicle collision on Golf club Road in Glanbrook. 8:42 a.m.
- A vehicle collision on Main Street West. 8:25 a.m.
- A vehicle collision on the Kenilworth Access. 8:21 a.m.
- A vehicle collision at James Street South and James Street East. 8:03 a.m.
- For anyone from Hamilton heading to Toronto, a truck fire is causing closures on the Lake Shore Gardiner Expressway. 7:55 a.m.
- A vehicle collision on Brampton Street. 7:33 a.m.
- Traffic problems at Glover Road and Barton Street. 7:31 a.m.
- A vehicle collision at James Street South and Jackson Street East. 7:27 a.m.
- A vehicle collision on King Street East and John Street North. 7:25 a.m.
- Parkdale is closed between Burlington and Glow for a water main break. 6:31 a.m.
- Ottawa Street is closed between Beach and Burlington for a water main break 5:46 a.m.
Yet another bitterly cold air mass is perched over Southern Ontario this morning, leaving us to bask in wind chills between -30 C and -35 C. The early morning temperature is a frigid -20 C, which is forecasted to rise to -11 C later today.
Expect mainly sunny skies throughout the day and 15 km/h winds.
Tonight is expected to dip back down to -20 C – and a few centimetres of snow is forecasted for Tuesday morning.
This great, late night photo comes courtesy Colin Marcano:
Ricky Doucette's friends are mourning the loss of Hamilton's fourth homicide victim this year. The 28-year-old was pronounced dead in hospital on Friday night after receiving multiple stab wounds in an attack on Barton Street East near Mary Street.
Police haven’t made any arrests in the fatal stabbing, which also sent a 39-year-old woman to hospital.
Police are also searching for three suspects after a stolen car was used as battering ram in an overnight smash-and-grab at a west Hamilton gun shop.
Officers were able to recover the all of the stolen weapons, but have made no arrests in the case.
This soccer free kick is topped by the reaction of the guy filming it. Make sure you have your headphones on.