A barbeque fire got out of control on the East Mountain Sunday night.

Fire crews were called to 185 Kings Forest Dr. just before midnight. They found a fire that started in a barbeque had spread to the garage and the house itself.

Firefighters moved through the home to make sure no one was inside. Everyone had gotten out safely, fire officials say.

The fire ended up destroying the garage and damaging the rear of the home. The flames also spread to a neighbours' garage, so additional fire crews were called in to help get things under control.

Both the homeowners and their pets escaped unharmed, officials say, but the fire damage is estimated to be at least $150,000. Both homeowners say they're insured.

The Hamilton Fire Department wants to remind people to make sure that they properly maintain their barbeque equipment and never leave it unattended while it's operating.