Hamilton will be well represented at the 2014 Juno awards, as a host of area musicians picked up nominations for Canada’s highest music honours on Tuesday morning.
The local nominees include:
- Monster Truck for rock album of the year
- Harrison Kennedy for blues album of the year
- Lee Harvey Osmond for roots and traditional album of the year
- The City Harmonic for contemporary Christian/gospel album of the year
Nearby Burlington act Walk Off the Earth is up for group of the year, and will also be performing during the live televised awards show. Erik Ratz, who worked on Monster Truck’s Furiosity, is up for both producer of the year and recording engineer of the year. Burlington's Splash N' Boots is also up for children's recording of the year.
Montreal superstars Arcade Fire are the front-runners for this year’s awards with six nominations, including group of the year, songwriter and both best single and alternative album for Reflektor.
Toronto singer-songwriter Serena Ryder's latest album Harmony boosted her to five nods, including for artist of the year, songwriter, album and best single for What I Wouldn't Do.
Perennial audience favourites Drake, Hedley, Michael Bublé and Céline Dion also earned a raft of nominations each for their latest albums: Nothing Was the Same, Wild Life, To Be Loved and Loved Me Back to Life, respectively.
Nominees in selected categories include:
- Artist of the year: Céline Dion, Drake, Michael Bublé, Robin Thicke, Serena Ryder.
- Group: Arcade Fire, Blue Rodeo, Hedley, Tegan and Sara, Walk Off the Earth.
- Single: Reflektor, Arcade Fire; Inner Ninja, Classified ft. David Myles; It's a Beautiful Day, Michael Bublé; What I Wouldn't Do, Serena Ryder; Closer, Tegan and Sara.
- Album: Reflektor, Arcade Fire; Loved Me Back to Life, Céline Dion; Nothing Was The Same, Drake; To Be Loved, Michael Bublé; Harmony, Serena Ryder.
- Songwriter: Arcade Fire, Henry (Cirkut) Walter, Ron Sexsmith, Serena Ryder, Tegan and Sara Quin.
- Breakthrough group: A Tribe Called Red, Autumn Hill, Born Ruffians, Courage My Love, July Talk.
- Breakthrough artist: Brett Kissel, Florence K, Tyler Shaw, Wake Owl.
- International album: Unorthodox Jukebox, Bruno Mars; The Marshall Mathers LP II, Eminem; Night Visions, Imagine Dragons; Midnight Memories, One Direction; Truth About Love, Pink.
- Fan's Choice: Arcade Fire, Avril Lavigne, Celine Dion, Drake, Hedley, Justin Bieber, Michael Buble, Robin Thicke, Serena Ryder, Walk Off The Earth.
The 43th annual Juno Awards are being held at Winnipeg's MTS Centre on March 30 after a week of musical celebrations across the city. Artists who released albums between Sept. 1, 2012, and Nov. 13, 2013, are eligible.