Firefighters douse flames at city composting plant
No one injured in fire involving 'non-toxic' food waste
Crews put out a fire at a Hamilton composting plant after a pile of household food waste burst into flames on Sunday morning.
At 10:42 a.m., dispatchers received a call about a fire at the city’s Central Composting Facility at 1579 Burlington St. E, said Hamilton Fire Department spokesman Claudio Mostacci.
He said a pile of “non-toxic” household food waste caught fire inside the plant. By 11:03 a.m., firefighters had put out the flames, but they continued to work to make sure the pile wouldn’t re-ignite, he said.
The fire caused “heavy-to-moderate” smoke, but didn’t damage the building’s structure, said Mostacci.
Investigators haven't determined the cause of the Sunday morning fire.
No one was injured in the incident.