Careless smoking leads to 2 separate house fires, $125K in total damages
No injuries in either fire
There were two different Hamilton house fires in 12 hours caused by careless smoking, leading to a total of $125,000 in damages, says Hamilton Fire.
The first fire was called in at around 6 p.m. Wednesday afternoon. Hamilton Fire received reports of a multiple-alarm fire in the garage of a home at 365 Strathearne Ave. in the area of Kenilworth Avenue North and Barton Street East.
When crews arrived, the fire was in the garage and was "totally involved," said Hamilton Fire spokesperson Claudio Mostacci. Nobody was injured.
The fire never spread to the rest of the house, but did extend over to the neighbour's garage. The damages are an estimated $65,000, said Mostacci.
Then at around 6 a.m. Thursday, Hamilton Fire received reports of a house fire at 12 Hilda Ave. near King St. W and Dunsmere Road.
When crews arrived, three people made it out safely as a fire burned in the attic on the third floor. No one was injured.
Crews knocked down the fire and contained damage to the third floor, but the second floor suffered from water damage. As a result, the house is "unhabitable" and the occupants are now being put up by Red Cross, said Mostacci.
The fire caused an estimated $60,000 worth of damages at the three-storey home.
With crews still on scene, Hamilton police is reporting that Hilda Ave. is currently closed from King to Main streets.